Wednesday 5 January 2011

Cake? For breakfast?!

Hi, my name's Ellen and I'm a porridge addict.

There, I said it! 
Seriously though, it's just so darn good! I eat it pretty much everyday and I'm still not bored of it - and this is coming from someone who gets bored wayyy too easily!

A few months ago I tried out Katie's boatmeal recipe and fell in lurve.
Since then I've adapted it a bit, to turn it into an oatmeal (we call it porridge in Ireland and the UK :P) cake!

Cake for breakfast?! Why the feck not??
I made one of these for my mum before an early trip to Dublin last week, and she hasn't stopped talking about them since :P She told her friends about them and got me to write down the recipe for them all. Hehe!
Whenever I have an especially early start in the morning, or feel like I won't have time to make breakfast and just want to take something to go, I prepare this the night before and I have a delicious (and seriously nutritious) breakfast on-the-go!

Porridge Cake
1/3 cup oats
1/2 mashed banana
1 Tbs ground flax
Soy milk (or water/milk of choice), about 40ml - just enough to  moisten, should still be very sticky.
Handful dried fruit/nuts of choice 
Generous sprinkle of cinnamon
Drop of vanilla essence
Pinch of baking powder
Peanut butter (or any other nut butter)

The process is simple, simply mix together everything except the PB. Grease a little ramekin dish and put 1/2 of the mixture into it. 

Spread with a generous layer of peanut butter and top with the rest of the oatmeal mixture. 

Place in the center of a preheated oven (150C fan, prob about 180C conventional, or 350F) for 15-20 mins. Allow to cool before popping it out of the dish and placing it in the fridge ready for the morning :)


With breakfast as good as this, there should be no problem waking up on early mornings :P 

2 comments:

  1. Cake for bfast-no problem! haha...that looks pretty easy to recreate-may have to give it a shot:) Esp when you label it as cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome!! I definitely want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete